Many common chemicals and products in your dog’s environment can become a health hazard if consumed. Please consult the following list for information on substances that can cause physical harm to your pet. If you suspect that your dog has consumed any of the substances below, contact your local veterinarian for assistance. Antifreeze (glycerin, glycol, ethanol) Caution must be taken when using antifreeze as dogs like the taste. A small amount is enough to cause severe complaints. Consult a vet even if the symptoms are waning since many cases of poisoning show a bi-phrasal course with a short period of improvement in-between the two major phases of illness. Possible symptoms are: vomiting, thirst, restlessness, collapsing, cramps. Pesticides Pesticides are mostly found around gardens. The toxic compounds contained inside affect the central nervous system. Possible symptoms after contact are: after 1 hour, salivation and diarrhea. After 3-4 hours, swaying, cramping, collapsing, stretching of the head, and a high fever. Rat poison Symptoms normally do not appear until days after consumption. Rat poison increases the bleeding tendency of the body, which leads to uncontrolled blood loss into the skin and body cavities. Analgesics and other drugs Dogs lack the enzymes, which are necessary to break down most analgesics, such as aspirin or ibuprofen. Consumption of those or similar drugs may have dramatic consequences for your dog. Possible symptoms are: vomiting, diarrhea, bloody diarrhea. Herbicides (i.e. diquat or paraquat) Herbicides may be found in treated gardens or on fields. If consumed orally, vomiting should be initiated. If the skin has been contaminated washing and cleaning of the affected area is necessary. If your dog has had any contact with a herbicide, contact your vet immediately. Possible symptoms: weakness, vomiting, labored breathing, skin burns, eye irritation. Alcohol-Spirits Consumption of spirits or foods containing alcohol may lead to serious poisoning, coma or death. Special care has to be taken with dry alcohol cubes, as dogs can easily swallow them. Possible symptoms are: salivation, diarrhea, cramps, fever. Poisoning with acids or bases If your dog has consumed an acid or a base, under no circumstances induce vomiting! This can cause sever damage to the esophagus. Possible symptoms: vomiting of different consistency, collapsing.